Calm. Clear. Clarify.
For many of us, acneic skin is a fact of life that can persist well into our 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s. Issues with acneic skin affect more than just our skin, it impacts all aspects of our lives, our self-esteem, and our self-confidence. Pustules, blackheads, whiteheads, and red bumps don’t just affect our face, it can cause havoc elsewhere on the body, like the chest and back.
Oily and acneic skin often requires a deeper cleanse to clear out debris and compactions in the follicles. While certain ingredients can make quite a difference, they’re no comparison to the professional, deep cleansing treatments available in the treatment room.
Because acne breakouts are so common and the products available to treat it so prevalent, it is typical for those suffering from the condition to attempt an acne treatment regimen at home. However, without understanding the factors that cause it and the specific ingredients and steps needed to mitigate it, rarely are these self-treatment strategies successful. Rather, by employing a targeted and customized treatment strategy, aestheticians become the missing link who can take acne sufferers from frustration to relief.
Professionals certainly have the arsenal of tools needed to improve acne. Despite this, however, the condition is notoriously difficult to treat.
What is more, acne is a genetic or hormonal condition that cannot simply be cured. Instead, the primary goal of treatment must be the optimization of skin conditions and function so the tendency to develop acnelesions is diminished.
The DNA CryoStems Therapy helps regulate and improve the skins health and immune system. Getting the skin to a healthy, functioning state helps acneic skin by improving cell turnover naturally.
One key piece of information to remember is that acneic skin has a much slower cell turnover rate, therefore, exfoliating with DNA peels, Phyto-Lipid Hydrating Scrub, and/or MediClear Natural Cleansing Pads is essential.
The DNA CryoStems Therapy helps regulate and improve the skins health and immune system. Getting the skin to a healthy, functioning state helps acneic skin by improving cell turnover naturally. Clients benefit the most by committing to a series of 6 to 10 weekly treatments. Once the skin is cleared, they can continue monthly or bi-monthly, and should continue their prescribed home care regimen to maintain skins healthy function. As the CryoStem Therapy™ stimulates 71% fibroblast activity, we also see a dramatic reduction of scars due to the increased collagen production.
Why is it important to follow a specific regimen at home if you are receiving professional treatments?
Acne has four main direct causes, including –
• follicular keratinization: abnormally “sticky” skin cells that bind together to create a glue-like substance that clogs pores rather than sloughing off properly
• production of excess sebum, the oil secreted by the sebaceous glands that lubricates the skin and makes it water-resistant
• prevalence of propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), the bacteria associated with the condition
• inflammation, which is in itself involved in the earliest stages of development of acnelesions and can also be caused by follicular keratinization or prevalence of P. acnes.
* Additionally, any number of environmental or lifestyle factors, diet, stress, medications, and more can trigger one of the direct causes to spring into action.
These four main causes of acne can occur in any combination. Therefore, it is highly recommended that the treatment protocol thoroughly address each of them. This will require use of a multiple-step, at-home skin care regimen, as it is nearly impossible for one product to address each of these causes. Products that should be included in the at-home treatment regimen include:
• Cleanser – to remove excess skin oil, dead skin cells and bacteria that sit on the skin’s surface
• Exfoliant – to encourage the shedding of dead skin cells and unclog pores
• Clarifying Treatment – to further unclog pores, reduce sebum, and kill bacteria, and heal blemishes
• Moisturizer – one with sunscreen and formulated for acneic skin, helps skin retain its moisture levels while protecting it from ultraviolet exposure, which can exacerbate inflammation and cause further skin damage
Of primary importance is the use of well-formulated products that include high-quality ingredients in proper concentrations. Aestheticians must take care to steer clients away from skin care products or makeup that utilizes harsh ingredients like alcohol, mineral oil, or D&C red pigments, which are derived from coal tar.
The following products are what we recommend for our acneic clients:
• MediClear Skin Lightening Wash™*
• Phyto-Lipid Hydrating Scrub™ or MediClear Natural Cleansing Pads™*
• CryoStem™ Stick or Sprayers
• Supernatural Vitamin A Serum™*
• Oceana Mineral Gel™
• MediClear Vitamin C Crystals™
• Phyto Collagen Moisturizer™*
*for those on a budget, these are the most important products needed to kick-start your regimen.