Can you guess the step almost everyone skips in their makeup routine?
If you guessed “cleaning your brushes“ — you’re right!
You see, every time you apply makeup, your brushes collect oil, dust, and bacteria…
Which can lead to skin irritation, clogged pores, and even infection — so cleaning them regularly is absolutely essential.
Luckily, there’s an easy and inexpensive way to make your dirty brushes look good as new…
Starting with three simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen cabinet.
The “magic” ingredient in this recipe is the olive oil. Have you ever heard the little phrase “like removes like“? By including olive oil, you are able to easily remove even the toughest of oil buildup from your brushes, which is usually hard to do with soap and water alone.
Here’s how it’s done:
1. Fill a small bowl with 1 teaspoon of dish soap and ½ cup of water.
2. Stir in 1 teaspoon of olive oil until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
3. Dip your makeup brush into the bowl, then swirl it around in a circular motion — you’ll notice makeup coming off the brush right away.
4. Rinse the brush in cool water, then wipe it against your hand to remove excess makeup.
5. Repeat steps 3-4 until your brush is completely clean and the water runs clear.
6. Blot the brush against a clean towel, then lay flat to dry.
I recommend repeating these steps once a week to really keep your brushes (and your skin!) clean and bacteria-free.
Plus! You’ll have an easier time applying your makeup with brushes that are oil-residue free!
P.S. If you’re looking for a natural way to “erase” makeup residue from your skin — you’ll LOVE DNA’s Citrus Burst Gel Cleanser!
Use this delightfully scented cleanser right after you do your pre-cleanse with a microfiber towel (if you haven’t read my post on the benefits of using microfiber to remove your makeup instead of traditional makeup remover wipes- you can find it Here!)
Both of these products offer major anti-aging benefits, and together, they will get your face squeaky clean & looking radiant without the need for using any other products that contain chemicals & preservatives.